Thursday 6 August 2015

Day 28- Nijo Fish Market & the Beer museum

I slept through my alarm this morning so I had a pretty lazy start. I got up around 10 and had a coffee with Jenny (the girl I met last night).

Hokkaido is famous for its seafood so around 11 went to Nijo fish market. The Taiwanese girl I met the day before had told me about a really good restaurant near there, so that was my plan for lunch. I walked around the market for a bit before heading to the restaurant.

I ordered a set meal because it seemed to have a bit of everything.

Tuna, Prawn, Scollop, Sea urchin, salmon sashimi and crab

It was amazing. The sashimi was really good but my favourite has to be the crab. I’ve never had crab so sweet and fresh.

After lunch I walked around for a bit, eventually getting to another market which had really strange things like an owl sanctuary.




Anyway, I went back to the station and headed for the Beer museum. Outside the museum they had a massive container, which was used for boiling the ingredients.


On the sign next to it, it said: this is not an unidentified flying object.
Because obviously that was first assumption. It made me laugh.


The museum was pretty cool, although a lot of the signs weren’t in English so I just guessed what most things were.





When you got to the end of the route, there was a tasting area.

Black label, Classic & Original recipe

The portions were larger than I expected because it was only 500 yen.

After the museum, I went to a supermarket to pick up stuff for my family before heading back to the hostel.

I packed up my stuff and then hung out with Jenny for a bit. Around 7 we went to the supermarket again, she needed to buy stuff and I had forgotten green tea (my sister would have killed me).

The shopping trip turned out to be longer than expected because at check out, the cashier tried to give Jenny 10,000 yen back when she needed 1 yen. I think the cashier had forgotten to take the 10,000 yen note of the machine from the last customer.

It took a long time to explain but the manager was so grateful to us afterwards.

Around 8, I went to go and get dinner. Sapporo is supposed to be famous for soup curry, so I found a restaurant that did it.

You had to choose, from 1 to 10, which spice level you wanted. I chose a 5 and the waiter tried to convince me that it would be too spicy. He even brought out a chili for me to eat because he said this is how spicy it is.

I stuck to my guns and ordered a 5 anyway. It was nice to have something spicy, the food in Japan tends to be very mild.

The soup curry was delicious.

I then went back to the hostel and hung out with Jenny and the Canadian guys till about midnight when I finally decided I should go to bed.

This is the end of my trip and I’m so sad to leave. The time has flown by.

No comments:

Post a Comment