Thursday 9 July 2015

Day 1 Tokyo- Minamigytoku park


My flight was 9:05 from Birmingham airport, so it was a relatively early start. It was an hour to Frankfurt with a 2 hour layover and then a 10 and a half hour flight to Tokyo. So I managed to travel during the whole of my day and arrive in Tokyo in the morning. Needless to say I was pretty shattered.

When I got out of the airport, it was surprisingly cold and chucking it down with rain.

Nevertheless I managed to catch the bus to Kasai, and then the tube to Minamigyotoku. I then attempted to walk to the house I'm staying at, but somehow managed to get horribly lost. I asked a women on the street and she was so lovely, she insisted on me sharing her umbrella and walked me to several shops to ask various different people where this house was. Eventually I got there (it only took 2 people to walk me there) and was greeted by the mum of the house.

Once I got to the house I didn't really know hat to do, it was raining so a trip to Yoyogi park didn't sound very appealing. Instead, the mum of the house made me a delicious lunch of chicken yaki soba and miso soup with okra and seaweed in it.





The okra gave the soup a slightly slimy texture but it was really good.

I then sat for a while with the mum and talked about what I'm going to do over the next few days. It was an interesting conversation as she doesn't speak English, but we managed and I have now planned the next few days actually based on the weather forecast.

I decided to stay local today because of the rain so I walked to Minamigyotoku park.


It was a really pretty walk and the whole park smelled of flowers.





I found a bench under some shelter and just relaxed for a while. I met a turkish man and we talked for about 45mins. He didn't speak much English but spoke Japanese and so we managed to communicate. I think he was slightly mad, he kept talking to the birds.

He offered me this cake like bun which was quite tasty.


I continued walking and went up a hill where I could see this beautiful fountain. 


On the descent I did manage to fall on my bum and cover my new pair of shorts with mud. Luckily no one saw (I hope).

I then went for a wonder and came to a shopping centre by the train station.


I spent quite a while looking around all the stalls and restaurants until I finally decided to get some dinner. I went to the supermarket and bought a box of tuna sashimi. 

When I got home I got to meet the daughter (who speaks English), she was so nice and really appreciated the shortbread I brought from England.

We then ate dinner, I had the sashimi I bought and the mum gave me some miso soup and some more tuna.


I then had a much needed shower and talked with my mum and sister and now I'm off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment