Saturday 11 July 2015

Day 3- Tsukiji market, Asakusa & Ueno Koen


Early start this morning for Tsukiji market. It was so worth it though. I left the house around 5am as that is when the tubes open. I got to the market at aroud 5:30 and panicked because it looked like the market had closed. Turns out that I was just in the wrong part of the market. 

I decided to join the shorter queue because the longest one looked like it was going to take hours. A Japanese lady saw that I was alone and so she invited me to join her in the queue. She was lovely and spoke very good English. This also meant that I only actually had to wait 45mins for the sushi.

The chefs didn't speak English so I decided to go for the set breakfast to make things easier. I'm really glad I went for this because it meant I got to try a lot of different things. All of it was so good, I've never had sushi like that before, it was just so fresh. So worth it.

Medium fat tuna & squid

 Sea urchin, tuna & prawn

Fatty tuna (toro), flounder, eel, salmon & roe

On the walk back to the station I got to Tsukiji Hongwanji temple. It was beautiful, apparently it was built based on Indian architecture.


Inside a service seemed to be going, there were people singing and everyone was welcome to watch.


I got back to the house at about 8 and slept for a couple hours. At 10, I headed out to Asakusa. 


It was so hot, so I gave up looking for souvenirs. It's supposed to be cooler on Monday and Tuesday so I might go back then.


Instead I decided to sit in the shade for a while. I met a guy called Kennedy and we walked around the shops until he had to go back and meet his group. I then went back to sit in the shade and relax.


A little girl and her mum came up to me and the mum would whisper something in her ear, then the little girl would ask me a question. She was so cute. After a while, she asked for a photo with me and then gave me a little present. It was so sweet.


I eventually decided to move when I saw a man walking a pig through the street. My favourite part was that the pig had a blue mohawk. 



It was around 1pm so I decided to head back to the station. On the way, I gave into getting some ice cream, at least I thought it was ice cream. It was really light and looked like wafer thin pieces of ice. The important thing is that it was cold.


In the queue, I met a guy who had been travelling around south east Asia and was just stopping off in Japan on his way back to America. We ate the "ice cream" and then walked back to the station. He was  going to Shibuya so we parted ways at the station.

I then went to Ueno zoo. The park was really busy, because it's Saturday there were loads of family's with their kids there.  There was lots of shade to sit in though which was great.

This panda just looked really chilled out

Toucan (for Isha)

I took the monorail to the other side of the park and sat there watching the Lemurs until about 5pm.


On my way to the tube station, there were loads of food stalls. For dinner I got this dough ball type thing with octopus in it. It was covered in mayonnaise and some other sauce, with dried fish on top. It was delicious.



After eating, I headed back home. I sat with the mum of the house for a while and we watched Japanese food programs. She's so lovely.

I talked with my mum, dad and sister and now I think I'll go to bed, it's been a good (but long) day.

No comments:

Post a Comment